WhatsApp to Stop Working on These Smartphones From 24th October – WhatsApp’s decision to end support for older Android operating systems is significant and reflects the evolving nature of technology. Only Android devices running Android 5.0 or later can use the messaging app until October 24, 2023. This means that users and devices running operating systems before Android 5.0 or between Android 4.1 and 5.0 will not be able to access WhatsApp.
Why WhatsApp to Stop Working on Older Smartphones?
WhatsApp’s proactive approach in notifying users of these changes and asking them to update is essential for data security, user-friendly software, and access to new features. This move “WhatsApp to Stop Working” is in line with an ever-evolving technology landscape, where legacy systems lack the security updates and capabilities needed to meet modern messaging requirements.
Although newer Android phones support Android 5.0 and newer devices, there is a significant user base with older devices. The announcement suggests that these users have updated their mobile phones to continue using WhatsApp and stay connected with their contacts.
The disconnection of previous WhatsApp support for iOS 10 and 11 on the iPhone reinforces the need for regular system updates to keep up with the speed and security requirements for application developments. A device update to iOS 12 or later is required to ensure smooth access to WhatsApp and its features for iPhone users. This trend emphasizes the importance of staying up-to-date with the latest software and software developments to fully enjoy the benefits of popular messaging applications.
Supported Android Devices:
WhatsApp provide support for Android devices meeting the below mentioned requirements:
- Your Android phone is running OS 4.1 and newer.
- Your Android phone is able to receive SMS or calls during the verification process.
Note: Starting October 24, 2023, only Android OS version 5.0 and newer will be supported.
You can find more information about the operating systems that WhatsApp support and what happens if your operating system is not supported here.
To keep up with the latest developments in technology, WhatsApp to Stop Working on older operating systems and focused our resources on supporting the latest.
If WhatsApp stop supporting your operating system, you will be notified and reminded several times to update your device to continue using WhatsApp. The company will also regularly update this page to ensure the latest Android versions that WhatsApp support are listed here.
Supported iPhone or iOS Devices
WhatsApp support iOS 12 or later, but company recommend using the latest version available.
For more information on which operating systems WhatsApp should support and what happens if they are no longer supported, read the detailed article here.
For the best experience using WhatsApp on iOS:
- Use the latest iOS version: The company recommend using the latest version of iOS available for your phone. To learn how to update your iPhone software, visit the Apple Support website.
- Do not use jailbroken or unlocked devices: We do not explicitly restrict the use of jailbroken or unlocked devices. However, we cannot support devices with modified versions of the iPhone operating system, as these changes may affect the functionality of your device.
- Your phone must be able to receive SMS or calls: To successfully set up a new WhatsApp account, your phone must be able to receive SMS or calls during verification. We do not support creating new accounts on WiFi ONLY devices.
To keep up with the latest developments in technology, WhatsApp provide ongoing support for older operating systems and WhatsApp resources to support the latest versions.
If we stop supporting your operating system, you will be notified and reminded several times to update your device to continue using WhatsApp. Moreover, company will also regularly update this page to ensure the latest iOS versions we support are listed here.
How to Update WhatsApp if WhatsApp to Stop Working?
WhatsApp always encourages users to use the latest version of the application. The latest version contains the latest features and bug fixes.
- Android: Find WhatsApp Messenger in the Google Play Store, tap Update.
- iPhone: Search for WhatsApp Messenger in the Apple App Store, click UPDATE
- KaiOS: JioStore or click Store in the Apps menu. Scroll to select Social, then select WhatsApp. Select > Update.
WhatsApp Latest Features
Earlier this month, WhatsApp launched WhatsApp Channels in more than 150 countries to give users a personalized way to receive important updates. “We’re welcoming thousands of organizations, sports teams, artists, and thought leaders that people can follow, right within WhatsApp,” WhatsApp company said.
Moreover, WhatsApp mentioned in a blog post “If you’re new to Channels, our goal is to create the most personalized streaming service available. Channels are separate from your chats, and who you choose to follow will not be visible to other followers, we also protect the personal information of both admin and followers”.